Good Shepherd Ministry Updates during Social Distancing
Through this time of social distancing the ministry of the Church continues. Much of our life together has paused or adapted, but we are still church together for the sake of the world and continue to care for, pray for, and serve people as Good Shepherd Lutheran Church. We continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation, following the latest orders for health and safety, and will keep you updated as we begin phasing back to in-person worship and ministry again.
Due to the recent upward trend of COVID-19 in the STL metro area, Good Shepherd will be returning to Phase 2 of our ministry plan and having worship online only again.
House Church will be a mid-week worship with Holy Communion on Wednesdays at 12:00 pm. We will meet in our own homes via Zoom for Word, prayer, communion, and discussion. See Friday e-news for Zoom details. We will read through the book of Acts together throughout the summer as a part of this practice.
THE ACTS OF THE APOSTLES – DAILY READINGS
COMMUNION BREAD RECIPE
When we return to Worship in-person: (Online-Only at this time)
• Sign up via the Good Shepherd Connect App *Your Good Shepherd Connect login is first letter of first name+last name, (ex. Jbrecht)
• Sign up online HERE
• Call Brenda Ogroski at 636-391-6685 or email Brenda.
Key things to be aware of:
• We will offer two services: 9:00 Traditional, and 11:00 Contemporary
• Don’t forget your mask!
• Enter through Narthex doors where you will be greeted by someone who will check you in and someone who will check your temperature
• All materials will be removed from pews, we will not have printed bulletins, and screens will be used to guide our worship service
• Worship will be modified to eliminate physical contact.
• Communion will happen at the end of worship, and we will use wafers only (at first).
Below you will find our COVID-19 Plan & Overview, and also our Returning to Worship Plan and Overview which has more details:
The church office is open M-F from 8-12:00 pm.
Staff is working remotely as much as possible. When more than one staff person needs to be in the office, coordination will happen to ensure safe social distancing or staggering time in the building.
Children and Family:
A curated list of resources to refer to during social distancing orders:
- There is something fun to do and see each day with Faith Finder Fun
- Click here for simple daily devotions written with youth in mind.
- Looking for a resource that will help guide your conversations with your children in regards to COVID-19 and what it means for church? Check out “Coronavirus, Anxiety, Children, and the Church”.
- A fantastic devotional was put together by a group of ELCA church leaders to be used in the first 8 weeks of the quarantine. You can still refer to it for great resources and ideas as we continue to navigate our “new normal.” Check out Pandemic Hope Devotional.
Our Neighbors, Our City: Tuesdays at 7:30 pm – Via Zoom
We are hosting virtual gatherings to discuss the recent events in our nation. This is a safe space to lament, pray, ask questions, and seek to understand the events around us. Contact Gail Brecht.
Basecamp: Our men’s ministry is meeting via Zoom every other week, Sundays at 7:30 pm. Contact Michael Kerber.
Lectio Divina: This is a women’s ministry, meeting via Zoom, every Monday at 7:30 pm. Contact Pastor Amy.
FLY (Fellowship of Lutheran Youth): Contact Pastor Amy.
College: The college Zoom meetup is now on summer break. Reach out to Pastor Amy if you have thoughts on how we can be in ministry together as college students!
RiSE in the Middle: middle school students meet, via Zoom, each Sunday at 11:00 am. Contact Kayla Dye for info.
Prayer & Care:
Stay Connected Team: A dedicated group of members has been helping us reach out to all our members with phone calls to check in, offer care, and see if there are any needs. If you are interested in helping make calls contact our Chaplain, Suzie Everingham.
Pastoral Care: Your pastors and chaplain are making calls and checking in regularly with members. We are available to talk and support you through this time. We are happy to talk over the phone or via Zoom for virtual coffee.
Help make sandwiches for Trinity Soulard. If you can help make Peanut Butter Sandwiches, please contact Dennis & Ruth Mall.
Safe Families: Many times, small groups ask me for an outreach opportunity they can do as a group. Recently, Anna Franz from Safe Families gave a presentation to our Service Team. As the age old saying goes – it takes a village to raise a child. In many aspects, the Safe Families program provides that village. Please look at the following link that shows an example of that village in action: https://vimeo.com/203894713. If you have questions, please email/call either Anna Franz, 314-809-9387, or Suzie Everingham, 314-413-1230.
Teams & Committees:
Many of our ongoing teams and committees are continuing their work through online video conferencing. ZOOM MEETING SAFETY
Men’s Bible Study: All Men can Carry On. This is a men’s ministry, meeting via Zoom, every Thursday at 6:15 AM. The Men’s meeting mimics the function of Panera without the travel. The zoom meeting runs 6:00 AM till 8:00 AM and the study or guided questions will run from 6:15 AM to 7:15 AM. I will manage Breakrooms after 7:15 AM to permit private, or not so private conversation (at your choice) until 8:00 AM.
Just a time to gather and share concerns and prayers. If you want to check out your Tech beforehand give me a call and I will do one on one training. The Video Conference is open from 6:00 AM just like Panera! BYOC is Bring Your Own Coffee. Call Bill at 314-306-9323 (cell, preferred) or email to get invited: Bill Talbot
Attention All Men! Maybe you don’t like getting up for a 6:00 AM meeting? Are you willing to try Tuesday at lunch? This is another opportunity for men’s ministry, meeting via Zoom, every Tuesday at 11:00 AM until 1:00 PM. The study or guided questions will run from 11:00 AM to 12:00 Noon. I will manage Breakrooms after 12:00 NOON to permit private conversations until 1:00 PM. Call Bill at 314-306-9323 or email to get invited: Bill Talbot. You can also email Bill to suggest another time and/or day of week for this meeting.